Custom Search

Friday, September 19, 2008

Ketaketi Book Club Observes First Anniversary




September 14, 2008

The Ketaketi Book Club Nepal, established by Children's Literature Foundation Nepal (CLFN) in August 2007 to help needy and underprivileged children of various communizes in Nepal, is one year old now. The annual program was celebrated on September 14, 2008 at a program in Kathmandu amidst children of various classes and communizes.

Established with an objective to help under-privileged, and civil war affected children with books and basic study materials, the club undertook a number of philanthropic projects. The beneficiaries of its projects include government school children belonging to parents, whom the twelve year long civil war uprooted from their native places and forced to live in slum-settlements in Kathmandu in the midst of abject poverty. In the course of a year, the Ketaketi Book Club has been able to circulate as many as 200 books on various disciplines among the children. A press release from the office of the Club claims that many children have started authoring stories and poems in Nepali, some of which have been published in the children's column of the local newspapers and magazines. The club also collected old books and study materials from the children of well-to-do parents and distributed to as many as 103 underprivileged children this year to ensure a continuity of their study.

Even at present, there are many more children in Nepal who are barred by poverty from attending schools since their parents cannot afford. Governmental efforts alone have not been adequate, and organizations like the Ketaketi Book Club are coming forth to deliver the society out of such an appalling social reality.

1 comment:

Kartikeya said...

eChild Story
My two little Friends
Santoshi Gautam

There is a small stationary shop beside the road. Early in the morning you can see one little girl sitting by the side of a little dog. Both are waiting for someone who is supposed to come and open the closed shutters of the shop.
Whenever they see me walking down on the road they come running. The dog asks for biscuits which I feed her everyday and the girl comes and embraces me. By doing so she shows how dearly she loved me and missed me.
These two little innocent beings have become part of my life. Whenever they are out of my sight, I think of them most of the time. These cute little charms, their carefree life teach me how to enjoy the small moments of happiness.
Everyday when I close the shop little girl asks me, "Will you come tomorrow?" when I say yes, I see spark on her face. She looks very happy to get another chance to spend time with me. Whenever I leave for home, I look at the sad face of little poor doggy. She looks unhappy seeing me going.
Some kind of feeling runs inside me, "will I find my little friends in front of the shop tomorrow morning when I go there?" will they be waiting for me as they were today ?. . . . And so on. I hope all the best for them. This cruel world and passing time will not seize their happiness. I hope that innocent smile will remain on their faces for ever.